Website and Database Developer (fort collins)
compensation: Up to $71,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications
Website and Database Developer
The Cooperative Institute for Research in the Atmosphere (CIRA) at Colorado State University (CSU) seeks to fill a Research Associate II position to support its collaborative air quality research with the National Park Service (NPS) in Fort Collins, Colorado.
CIRA and the NPS are collaborating to acquire and import a variety of data to support air quality modeling and analysis and to manage these data in a common repository (or "data warehouse") that is accessible from the web. The source data and analysis results managed by the warehouse will be used by the USDA Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management, the Environmental Protection Agency, and the three states of Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming to study the impacts to air quality in protected Federal lands by the oil and gas development being conducted in the three-state region. The software developer to be hired for this position will assist with the design, development, and operation of the database, website, and software systems that comprise this Three State Data Warehouse, and will be expected to collaborate with existing team members and project partners to assess design requirements, develop task plans, assign priorities, and develop the various warehouse components using a best practices approach and by leveraging existing database and software infrastructure.
• Bachelor's degree in either Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or related technical/scientific discipline by date of hire
• Demonstrated proficiency with current software development technologies and practices
• Demonstrated experience with developing real-world software applications as an integral member of a multi-faceted development team
Desired Skills and Experience:
• Two or more years work experience
• Proficiency with current web development technologies
• Experience managing and designing relational database management systems
• Experience using Microsoft development technologies
• Experience or interest in working with geographical information systems (GIS)
• Experience with scientific datasets such as air quality, water quality, meteorological, or satellite data
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Serve as the day-to-day technical contact for the data warehouse project
• Serve as a primary developer of the 3-State web site using Microsoft development technologies
• Collaborate with technical and project teams to determine system requirements and propose solutions for fulfilling those requirements based on feasibility, cost, and maintainability
• Coordinate and plan development activities with the 3-State project manager and lead developers
• Prepare and present periodic reports to the 3-State interagency steering committee
• Import, validate, and manage the data and metadata for the 3-State database
• Understand, utilize, and help manage existing SQL Server databases
• Test, debug, and refine existing websites, software, and tools
• Develop and maintain new components and tools for the 3-State Data Warehouse website
• Develop backend applications to import, process, and manage incoming data
• Work with project leads to improve and extend existing software architecture and design
• Use and extend a core software framework using current technologies and sound development practices
Annual Salary: Up to $71,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Colorado State University is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and living community. To achieve that goal, we conduct background investigations for all final candidates being considered for employment. Background checks may include, but are not limited to, criminal history, national sex offender search, and motor vehicle history.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion = Ability to advance the department's commitment to diversity and inclusion through research, teaching and outreach with relevant programs, goals and activities.
Apply electronically by sending a resume, cover letter, and the names of three references to the attention of Human Resources Manager at the following email address: cira_hr@mail (dot) colostate (dot) edu. Please put your last name and 13-139 in the subject line of the e-mail.
Application Deadline: Review of applications will begin on February 10, 2014 and may continue until the position is filled. References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Colorado State University does not discriminate on the basis of race, age, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers